10 green reasons to visit us
Kelling Heath Holiday Park is set amongst 300 acres of woodland and rare open heathland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in North Norfolk. The abundant wildlife and miles of trails for visitors to explore make the park an ideal choice for those looking for a holiday with the natural environment and sustainability at its heart.
But don't just take our word for it! We have been awarded Gold in the 2016 David Bellamy awards for our commitment to enhancing nature. That makes it 21 years as Gold status. We are also the holders of a Gold award in the Green Tourism Business Scheme.
1. Our guests help. Our Visitors' Charter suggests simple ways to reduce the environmental impact of holidaying at Kelling. It Includes tips on waste reduction, public transport and respecting nature and the community.
2. Rare habitat. The UK has lost 80% of its lowland heathland since 1800. Many species rely on this land to survive. At Kelling, we work hard to maintain and increase this habitat, and encourage our guests to explore and learn more.
3. Nature inspired activates. Our events encourage adults and children to get hands on with the environment; whether it's having fun shelter building, wildlife walking, moth trapping or our popular pond dipping sessions. All of these activities aim to illustrate the significance of our local ecosystems.
4. Green Technology & thinking. Solar water heating, Ground & Air Source Heating, Biomass heating and Rainwater harvesting are just some of the ways we reduce our energy consumption. You can also sleep easy knowing the Kelling Heath Green Team meet regularly to tackle sustainability issues across every area of the park.
5. Give the car a rest. Kelling Heath has its own halt on the North Norfolk Railway on which visitors can travel to Holt and Sheringham. Or maybe rent a bike with our on-site 'Huff and Puff' hire, and cycle on one our many trails. If walking is more your thing, we also have a series of way-marked trails to enjoy without ever leaving the park! Or if you want to explore further afield there is a public bus service from nearby Weybourne Village.
6. Starry nights. We use as little lighting as possible in the park to enhance the beautiful night skies. This is why we ask you to bring a torch! Kelling Heath is also far away from any great sources of light pollution; our skies are amongst the clearest in Norfolk . We are proud to host amazing star parties for both the spring and autumn equinox.
7. Green fuel. Our bio-diesel processor creates green fuel using waste cooking oil from the kitchens. We use it to power our agricultural vehicles and maintenance van -resulting in 8,000kg of CO2 saved every year.
8. The living roof. Our reception building features a living Sedum Roof, offering natural insulation. It also provides an important refuge for wildlife.
9. Waste reduction. 100% of waste on park avoids landfill. Our Village Square has separate bins for Recyclable and General waste; helping our Waste contractor to increase the rate of recycling even further. Staff and guests are encouraged to avoid waste wherever possible, by refusing packaging not needed, reusing carrier bags, and only buying what is necessary.
10. Naturally Norfolk. The Village Store has a popular ‘Naturally Norfolk' section to showcase locally-sourced products, support our local economy and reduce food miles.